Roundup of Self-Care Apps for Busy Moms
I get so busy taking care of everyone’s needs that I totally forget about my own. I’m pretty sure you have too. Neglecting self-care seems to be a common mom trait. The problem is, that doesn’t work so well with my autoimmune condition. Even if you don’t have an autoimmune disease, neglecting self-care can ultimately lead to stress related health problems.
Since I can’t be trusted to remember to practice self-care, I’ve hunted down a few free self-care apps (except TalkSpace) that will act as my mom to remind me to care for myself. If I don’t, who will?
- Plant Nanny: Do you get through a whole day without drinking any water? This free app is for you. You are a virtual plant and you receive reminders to water yourself. If you constantly skip watering, your virtual plant will get sicker and sicker, so you will feel bad about not drinking enough water.
- Affirmations: Do you need a daily reminder to stay positive? This app sends you a daily positive affirmation to read and reflect on to put you in a positive mindset.
- MediSafe Meds and Pill Reminder: I’ll be downloading this app for myself. Way too often I forget to take my medication in the afternoon…until I start feeling light-headed and have a headache. This app sends you reminders to take your medication.
- Guided Mind: Chose from 150 guided meditations to help you relax and deal with daily stress.
- Relax Lite: Stress and Anxiety Relief: De-stress with guided breathing exercises and calming music.
- Pedometer and Weight Loss: If a FitBit is out of your budget, this free app will track your steps as long as you have your phone on you.
- 7 Minute Workout: If you struggle with fitting exercise into your day (who doesn’t), these 7 minute workouts may be just what you need. Just a little exercise goes a long way in health maintenance.
- Fitnet: Another free quick workout app that lets you squeeze exercise into your day. They offer 5 – 7 minute workout options.
- Yoga Wake Up: This app delivers 10 minute yoga workouts to your phone at your designated wake up time. The yoga sequences vary from meditation to holding poses so that you’ll never get bored.
- TalkSpace: Are you struggling with the emotional side of parenting but there is no way you can get out of the house to talk to a therapist? This app connects you to licensed therapists who are matched based on your needs. Once you select the payment plan that works for you, you can begin sending messages to your therapist to work through the issues you’d like to address.
I’ll be adding many of these self-care apps to my phone. I hope they’ll be useful to you as well!